Special Offers
Special Offers
Gallery Scraper
Gallery Scraper
Kaktusan Cash
Kaktusan Cash

Haven't registered yet? Do it here now!
Having trouble getting started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kaktusan Corp. Support Area Forum Index -> Site Organizer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Having trouble getting started Reply with quote
Hello, I have heard many great things about your software so I decided to try the free versions first to see if I can figure out how to use them. I am already having troubles with very basic stuff so I hope you can help.

I got SO installed and everything seemed to go OK. I read the sticky on getting started A-Z with these instructions:

"For example create a niche "test", go into static galleries section, and paste some galleries in format URL,DESCRIPTION and import them. then go to the templates section, create a test template and put a variable like %%galleries,static,1-10,test%% and save the template, that will write on the template created 10 galleries from the test niche you created."

So I...
1. Created a niche called "test"
2. Signed up with a sponsor and got URL's to five FHGs
3. Copied these 5 URLs into the Static Galleries section. First problem: the URLs did not have descriptions so when I hit enter I got an error message saying that I needed to enter a Delimiter. This seemed strange since on another post I thought you said that for URLs without descriptions you can leave Delimiter empty. In any case, I went ahead and added "|1" to the end of the 1st URL, "|2" to the second and so on. Then I added "|" in the delimiter field and this seemed to work.
4. Created a template called "test" and in the yellow section at the bottom added the text in your example.
5. This seemed to generate the template so I took the two lines of code that were dsiplayed on the screen and added them to a new file and named it "index.php". I also saved it as "test.php".
6. Uploaded both files to my domain server, went to my browser and typed in my domain URL and got a blank white page. Also added the file names at the end of the URL and got the same blank white page.

Thats where I'm at now. Any suggestons?

kaktus
Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi there, yep sure i will help you out.

well, first.. when you get galleries without descriptions, either you should write up some description for them and insert them as static galleries, or just put them at the regular text galleries, but you need to have some descriptions for that niche.

So probably your page is white now, because it is blank, because the script has nothing to output. Go and grab few galleries from a sponsor that have description, so import them with their url and description as static galleries.

Then go and regenerate the template and see if something shows up.

msm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I followed your suggestion and still got a blank white page. This time I made sure to use three galleries that had text descriptions. But I forgot to ask... does it matter that I am using URLs for photo galleries that also have text descriptions, or am I supposed to use URLs for text based links only?

If it does not matter, then what should I try next?

msm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried importing the same galleries under Thumb Galleries and this seemed to generate them, but when I tried to add it to a template I kept getting "Incorrect Thumb Galleries Type" error, no matter which format I tried.

Help... I could sure use a video tutorial on this product!!!

kaktus
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
no it doesn't matter where you add the galleries, just you need to add them where you will need them and making sure you follow how they need to be added.

PM me url and pass to your SO admin so i can take a look what's wrong with your template and help you what about what you did wrong.

msm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to concentrate on learning Blogs Automater and Gallery Scrapper this week since I seem to be making better progress with them. Once I master those I'll return to SO and will try again from scratch, but if I get the same results I'll send you the info you requested.

I wanted to tell you that the "Getting Started" posts for BA and GS really help so if you can ever get around to doing one for SO I think it would be very helpful to me and other newbies. Or does one already exist and I just missed it?

I guess the closest thing is the "A to Z" post... I only read the first part of that but I think I'll go through and read all four pages to see if that helps.

kaktus
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, cool. yep concentrate on what you progress faster.

sure, will try to make some step by step tutorial for SO these days..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kaktusan Corp. Support Area Forum Index -> Site Organizer All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: