Rocket Pinger
Rocket Pinger
Blogs Automater
Blogs Automater
Special Offers
Special Offers

Haven't registered yet? Do it here now!
Gallery grabs wrong image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kaktusan Corp. Support Area Forum Index -> Gallery Scraper
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjhoward

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Gallery grabs wrong image Reply with quote
Hello. I just loaded some galleries from a new sponsor. For some reason, GS is picking up text (rendered as an image) from the page instead of the movie stills. Doesn't always happen with this sponsor, and have never seen it before with any other sponsor. You can see examples here:

http://www.dicknetwork.com/4_bareback_gal.htm

You can see some graphics that look like smeary letters; this comes from the "PLAY MOVIE" button from the sponsor's gallery.

Is there some way to prevent or correct this?

kaktus
Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, thats because on those galleries they have and that "play movie" image linked to the movie file and thats why GS picks it up. The only workaround is to skip those gals and don't use them in GS

rjhoward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Fixed by hand Reply with quote
Well I ended up fixing all these by hand. What a pain that was. Since my feeds only hold 20 entries, more will probably be revealed later, so I'll fix them when they show up.

It seems like it should be possible to get around this issue in the GS code, or at least make it somewhat better. Most galleries I've seen have 3-4 stills, and are square or are slightly wider than they are tall. When deciding on which graphics to grab, what would happen if you gave higher priority to graphics which are more nearly square? In other words, compute the ratio of height to width for each graphic candidate (i.e., those linked to a movie); those whose ratios are closest to 1 win.

Graphics which are very tall and narrow, or very short and wide are almost certainly not what we're looking for; they are probably banners or buttons.

There's my two cents worth Wink

kaktus
Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, that can easily be fixed, but performance will downgrade a lot. Thats why i didn't make it like that.

It can easily be made, when all image links are extracted from the galleries, to be checked their dimensions and remove any small ones or odd one. But getting the dimensions for lets say 10-15 images remotely is definitely time consuming process and that will end up all your feeds use tons of time to generate new entry and therefore high server usage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kaktusan Corp. Support Area Forum Index -> Gallery Scraper All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: